FORECAST: Australian consumption faces uncertainty

Australia’s total consumption of all paper and paperboard will decline a calculated 0.2% (around 5,000 tonnes) per annum through to 2024, according to the latest headline forecasts* prepared by IndustryEdge. In addition to the total consumption forecast, forecasts have been prepared for the two major grades. The headline forecast for… Read More

Pulp importers feel the pleasure, and the pain

Australia’s pulp importers – mainly the tissue manufacturers – have felt the pleasures and the pains of global pulp markets over the last two years. Imports year-ended November 2019 totalled a very typical 285.7 kt, down 2.7% from a year earlier. There are few alternatives for the local tissue producers… Read More

NZ pulp exports rise as prices stumble

New Zealand’s pulp exports rose 7.2% year-ended November 2019, at the same time as average export prices fell more than 32% in New Zealand dollar terms. Exports for the year totalled 960,830 tonnes, with the average price in November falling to NZDFob662/t, or NZD313/t lower than a year earlier. Given… Read More

Australian woodchip export deliveries: 372,506 bdmt (e) in November 2019

November saw total deliveries of Australian woodchips fall to an estimated 372,506 bdmt, with all deliveries headed into China and Japan. Deliveries to China accounted for 71.7% of the total in November, with Japan receiving the remaining 28.3%. Our provisional view is that deliveries in December will return to trend,… Read More

Quarter century: one chart tells the printing paper story

As the end of the second decade of the twenty first century closes in, it is natural to reflect on the past, to see what it tells us about the future. Using the longest run data available to us – a quarter century – this first part of our year-ending… Read More

Recovered paper export pressures compound

Global recovered paper markets are operating under intensifying pressure as 2019 comes to a close. Exports for the year to the end of October totaled 1.110 million tonnes, down 7.2% on the prior year. All indications are that the softening of global economic conditions and of Chinese manufacturing in particular,… Read More

NZ’s paper imports lift: its all about ‘woodfree’ grades

New Zealand’s imports of printing and communication papers lifted 6.3% in the September quarter, to total 32,325 tonnes. However, the rise came after the June quarter saw the lowest ever quarterly imports (30,410 tonnes). The result meant the September quarter’s imports were 20% lower than the September quarter of 2018… Read More

Stamps stomped in 2020

Australia’s standard stamp price will rise 10% in 2020. The price is already 25 times higher than when Australia went decimal. In an all too familiar development, the price of sending a standard letter will rise 10% from $1.00 to $1.10 from the start of 2020. The price rise, which will… Read More

2020: Freight Costs Will Rise

2020 will see higher global freight costs, especially for containerised goods. A swathe of factors is converging to see higher freight costs apply to nearly all global routes, with the longest routes – like those from Europe to Australia – likely to see sharply higher costs. Information supplied to customers… Read More

Redoubtable and remarkable: Aida Greenbury talks with IndustryEdge

Many of us know of Aida Greenbury from her thirteen years as Managing Director of sustainability at Asia Pulp & Paper Group (APP). That included the period that was undoubtedly the most tumultuous in the forestry and paper giant’s history, as it faced global criticisms over its sustainability. Through all… Read More

Free Stuff

Sign up right now for instant access to market information, samples of our publications, various market and product guides and analysis and view some of our forum presentations. You will also be regularly updated via our blog.

> sign up now

Subscribe

Receive special offers and news.

Contact Us

IndustryEdge Pty Ltd
PO Box 7596
Geelong West, Victoria 3218

Ph +61 (0) 3 5229 2470
Fx +61 (0) 3 5229 0034
Em info@industryedge.com.au