The July 2021 edition (Number 193) of Pulp & Paper Edge, IndustryEdge’s monthly analysis of the Australian and New Zealand pulp, paper and paper products industry has just been published.
This month, as the IndustryEdge team commenced preparing the 30th annual edition of the Pulp & Paper Strategic Review, our work on demand drivers made us take pause. The advertising expenditure data does not make for happy reading, but that makes it all the more important to be across. We share the main findings in this edition of Pulp & Paper Edge because we don’t think it can be ignored.
Meantime, as we analysed imports and exports of corrugating medium/fluting to and from Australia, we wanted to deploy some new visualisations. Here is a sample, and from the early test feedback, you can expect to see more of these graphics in coming editions. There is some churn occurring in the international containerboard market, with supply lines adjusting as the pandemic continues to impact global trade dynamics.
Subscribers can login to Pulp & Paper Edge here and access all of the content, the historical archive and comprehensive downloadable data files.
Here are the headlines from Edition 193 of Pulp & Paper Edge:
- FEATURE: Who is driving demand? The advertising example bites deep!
- Catalogue and magazine grade demand collapse continues
- Corrugating medium imports down 31%
- Corrugating medium exports fall 64,000 tonnes
- Headline regional printing paper price index falls 2.2%
- Australian printing paper trade down 31.5%, NZ falls 25.3%
- Import values lifted in May – just
- Copy paper imports fall as prices vary
- Australian pulp imports lift
- Quarterly paper price indexes flat in April: increases expected
- Australia’s oldest existing paper mill
- NZ pulp imports patchy, but largely stable
- Log export bans and the implications for pulp
- Regional production capacity profiled: 3.8 Mt
- MARKET EDGE – Downloadable monthly summary of paper and board trade prices for Australia and New Zealand
- ECONOMICS BRIEFING
- PULP MARKET
- RECOVERED PAPER MARKET
- WOODCHIP MARKET UPDATE
- SHIPPING & FREIGHT BRIEFING
- CONVERTED PRODUCTS BRIEFING
For a demonstration of Pulp & Paper Edge or sample data series on literally thousands of fibre, paper and paperboard grades and products, contact us here.