Pulp & Paper Edge: Edition 192 is Now Available
The June 2021 edition (Number 192) of Pulp & Paper Edge, IndustryEdge’s monthly analysis of the Australian and New Zealand pulp, paper and paper products industry was published yesterday.
All roads led to New Zealand in June, as the Whakatane Board Mill remained open, after a last minute reprieve from new owners from the Smurfit family, along with others. However, after a review, Norske Skog’s Tasman mill closed at the end of June. There is now no printing and communication paper – of any type – manufactured in New Zealand. The capacity chart in this edition is therefore already out of date:
Elsewhere we observe that despite high pulp prices, paper prices are only just starting to move, except for super-calendered papers that have taken a beating in the Australian market over the last two years and now barely exist. Unlike Mary Poppins, their leaving is not so super, its all part of a fragile existence! (Say it quickly and you’ll follow what we mean!)
Subscribers can login to Pulp & Paper Edge here and access all of the content, the historical archive and comprehensive downloadable data files.
Here are the headlines from Edition 192 of Pulp & Paper Edge:
- A month in two parts: Saved! Closed! Divested!
- Super-cal: a fragile existence
- Australian printing paper trade down 31.5%, NZ falls 26.0%
- Import values fell in April
- Copy paper imports remain low as volumes stabilise
- Australian pulp imports fall
- Quarterly price indexes flat in April: increases expected
- Despite the panic, tissue stock imports and prices are down
- QLD OCC export price crashes
- Tasman newsprint mill closure and what it means
- NZ cartonboard exports slip, but future is bright
- Newsprint recovery rate holds up
- Carbon & climate policy: Emissions pricing proves a political wasteland
- Production capacity – new charts and data series: New Zealand
- MARKET EDGE – Downloadable monthly summary of paper and board trade prices for Australia and New Zealand
- ECONOMICS BRIEFING
- PULP MARKET
- RECOVERED PAPER MARKET
- WOODCHIP MARKET UPDATE
- SHIPPING & FREIGHT BRIEFING
- CONVERTED PRODUCTS BRIEFING
For a demonstration of Pulp & Paper Edge or sample data series on literally thousands of fibre, paper and paperboard grades and products, contact us here.